SCHOOL DISTRICT OF THE CITY OF MONESSEN
The School District of the City of Monessen is committed to providing all students and employees with a safe and civil educational environment, free from threat, harassment or bullying. The School District of the City of Monessen recognizes that bullying interferes with the learning process, and may present an obstacle to the academic, vocational, and social/emotional development of students.
Bullying, for purposes of this policy, is defined as an intentional electronic, written, verbal or
physical act, or a series of acts:
1. directed at another student or students;
2. which occurs in or relates to a school setting;
3. that is severe, persistent or pervasive; and
4. that has the effect of doing any of the following:
a. substantially interfering with a student's education;
b. creating a threatening environment; or
c. substantially disrupting the orderly operation of the school.
Bullying includes, but is not limited to, the following:
1. Physical - the most commonly known form; includes hitting, kicking, spitting, pushing and taking personal belongings.
2. Verbal - includes taunting, malicious teasing, name-calling, and making threatening statements or gestures.
3. Psychological or Relational - involves spreading malicious rumors,and engaging in social isolations or intimidation.
4. Cyber-Bullying - forms of verbal and psychologicalb ullying may also occur on the Internet through e-mail, instant messaging, or personal profile web sites such as MySpace and Facebook. Cyber-bullying includes, but is not limited to, the following misuses of technology: harassing. teasing, intimidating, threatening,or terrorizing another student by sending or posting inappropriate or derogatory e-mail messages, instant messages, text messages, digital pictures or images, or web site postings (including blogs).
School setting includes school buildings and grounds, including travel to and from school, at a designated bus stop; on school vehicles and all activities and events sponsored, supervised or sanctioned by the school, whether or not on school grounds or during school hours.
It shall be a violation of this policy for any student to engage in the bullying of another student. Students who bully others in violation of this policy will be subject to disciplinary action that may include counseling, a parent/guardian conference, detention, suspension, expulsion or other consequences as provided in the Discipline Policy.
Delegation of Responsibility
Each staff member shall be responsible to maintain an educational environment free of bullying and cyber-bullying. Employees must be observant of bullying, take immediate, appropriate action to intervene upon observing bullying and report the bullying to the Principal or other administrator.
Parents/Guardians shall receive information regarding this policy and shall be requested to report to the Principal any suspected incidents of bullying involving their own children or other district students.
Students shall receive support to recognize and help prevent bullying behavior. Students are expected to report any and all incidents of bullying to their teachers or administrators.
Upon learning of a bullying incident, if deemed necessary, the Principal or his/her designee shall undertake a thorough investigation. The Principal or his/her designee will inform parents/guardians of the victim and person accused of the complaint and investigation.
The School District of the City of Monessen recognizes that both the complaining student and the alleged bully have a strong interest in maintaining the confidentiality of thea llegations and related information. The privacy of the complaining student, the individual(s) against whom the complaint is filed, and the witnesses will be respected as much as possible, consistent with legal obligations to investigate, to take appropriate action, and to complywith Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and any discovery or disclosure obligations. As limited by FERPA protections, the Principal or his/her designee may inform the complaining student/parents/guardians of the outcome of the investigation.
Any student who retaliates against another student for reporting bullying or assisting in the investigation of reported bullying shall be subject to disciplinary action.
Display and Dissemination
This policy will be displayed and accessible for review in the following manners:
1. A copy of this policy shall be available on the school’s publicly accessible Internet Web site.
2. A copy of this policy shall be posted in every classroom.
3. A copy of this policy shall be posted in each school building where notices are usually posted.
4. The terms of this policy shall be reviewed with students at least once every school year.